The Baptism Ceremony
Read the following notes to the disciple one point at a time, making sure they understand what to expect during baptism.
- At the time of your baptism you and the person baptizing you will go into the water. You will be asked “What is your faith,” to which you will respond by reciting the Apostles’ Creed to those who have gathered to witness your baptism.
- After reciting the Apostles’ Creed you will be asked to answer three questions to affirm your personal repentance and trust in Christ:
– Are you determined to submit every area of your life to Jesus Christ and learn to obey all of His commands?
– Do you acknowledge that there is nothing you can do to save yourself from the just wrath of God and the power of sin?
– Do you believe that Jesus, through His death on the cross, His resurrection from the grave, and His ascension to the right hand of God has the authority to save you from God’s wrath and sin’s power?
- After answering these three questions the person baptizing you will lead all those gathered together in a prayer for you.
- After praying for you, the person baptizing you will put his hand on your head and repeat the following statement: In the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit I baptize you into Jesus Christ.
- After he says this statement you will dip yourself completely under the water. After you have been completely immersed in the water you will stand back up emerging from the water.
- After you emerge from the water the person baptizing you will lay his hands on your head and lead those gathered in a prayer asking God to pour out His Holy Spirit on you.
- After praying for the gift of the Holy Spirit, you and the person baptizing you will come out of the water and dry off. You will then take a group picture with those gathered and someone will give a closing prayer for the baptism ceremony.
What to Bring: You should wear modest clothing to be baptized in and bring one set of dry clothes to change into after your baptism. You should also bring a towel. If you want pictures please bring a camera.
Discussion: Do you have any questions?
The Apostles’ Creed:
I believe in God the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ his only begotten Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirt, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; descended to the place of the dead; the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of God the Father almighty; from where he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the dead and in everlasting life.