- Who is God’s holy and chosen people?
The Church of Jesus Christ is God’s chosen people; the Church is made up of all true Christians.
- The Church is God’s chosen people (Ephesians 2:19-22)
- The Church is made up of all true Christians (1 Corinthians 1:2)
- How should we think of other true Christians? (We should consider them part of our family.)
- How did we come to share in the redeeming work of Jesus Christ?
We entered into Christ and share in His redeeming work on our behalf by trusting that His atoning sacrifice alone covers all of our sins and reconciles us to God; this is saving faith.
- We share in Christ through faith (Romans 5:1-2)
- Saving faith trusts in Christ alone (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- What are some differences between true faith and false faith? (False faith trusts in our own good deeds to wash away our sins. False faith does not lead to obedience.)
- How did God deliver us out of darkness?
God delivered us out of darkness and bondage to sin by converting our hearts through grace; God, by grace, led us to genuine repentance and saving faith.
- God freed us by leading us to repentance and faith through grace (1 Thessalonians 1:4-9)
- How do you know that God was the One that led you to faith and repentance? How do you know it was not just something you did by yourself?
- How does God sanctify the Church?
God sanctifies the Church by writing His eternal and holy law on our hearts by the Holy Spirit; our hearts are purified through the renewing power of the Holy Spirit.
- God renews our hearts (Titus 3:5-6)
- God writes His law on our hearts (Ezekiel 36:25-27)
- Read 2 Corinthians 3:12-18 and discuss how God writes His law on our hearts by progressively revealing Jesus to us.
- What has God promised His people?
God has promised to resurrect us from the dead and give us eternal life, and to faithfully guard us and bring us into that life.
- God has promised to raise us from the dead and give us eternal life (John 6:40)
- God has promised to guard us and bring us to that life (John 10:28-29)
- Do you pray daily that God would lead you away from temptation and evil? Jesus told us that we should pray for God’s grace to keep walking on the right path.
- What condition does God put on the promise of eternal life?
God promises to give us eternal life if we hold our original faith firm until the end.
- We must trust in Christ until the end (1 Peter 1:5, Hebrews 3:14, Matthew 24:13)
- How can faithful fellowship in a church help us to continue walking with Christ?